20060920

The sound of music...

Listening to music has always been one of those things I have called a hobby. Frankly, I have never really had a hobby. I realize that music to me, is more than just about hearing songs and humming them around.

My attachment to music began while I was around 12 or 13. When I was introduced to the concept of non-film music. I remember an incident when a cousin of mine had purchased some albums and I had innocently asked him which movie it was. He had snapped back saying: "It's an album, not a movie. You won't understand this."

My cousin did not know that he had just gotten me hooked to a music genre called POP. Beginning there, I slowly migrated from Indi-Pop to English music. At one point in time, this song Everybody by the Back Street Boys was a hot favorite (I could call it the first English song I heard, liked and remembered). The transition from pop to rock to metal was inevitable.

Now why am I talking about all this? Well, coz I wanna talk about the music that I really relate to. More specifically, in the recent past, there have been songs that have had me so captivated with their lyrics that I almost began to believe that the lyricist of the band was referring to me.

Bryan Adams, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are those bands that have held me with their lyrics for a long time now. While I related to Bryan Adams's lyrics when I was in a light, or say romantic like mood, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park have almays, through their lyrics, provided me with an expression for my frustration, my anger, my pain and at times, my hatred.

There are these 3 songs that have been permanently etched in my mind because of their lyrics, the way they have been sung and what they mean to me. Here goes a few lines from these songs that reflect exactly what I have felt:


Linkin Park - Numb

I'm tired of being what you want me to be
Feeling so faithless lost under the surface
Don't know what you're expecting of me
Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)
Every step that I take is another mistake to you
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)

I've become so numb I can't feel you there
Become so tired so much more aware
I'm becoming this all I want to do
Is be more like me and be less like you

...
Cause everything that you thought I would be
Has fallen apart right in front of you
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)
Every step that I take is another mistake to you
(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)
And every second I waste is more than I can take

I've become so numb I can't feel you there
Become so tired so much more aware
I'm becoming this all I want to do
Is be more like me and be less like you

And I know
I may end up failing too
...


Linkin Park - Faint

I am a little bit of loneliness a little bit of disregard
Handful of complaints but I can’t help the fact that everyone can see these scars
I am what I want you to want what I want you to feel
But it's like no matter what I do, I can't convince you, to just believe this is real
So I let go, watching you, turn your back like you always do
Face away and pretend that I'm not
But I'll be here 'cause you're all that I got

I can't feel the way I did before
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored
Time won't heal this damage anymore
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored

I am a little bit insecure a little unconfident
Cause you don't understand I do what I can but sometimes I don't make sense
I am what you never wanna say but I've never had a doubt
It's like no matter what I do I can't convince you for once just to hear me out
So I let go watching you turn your back like you always do
Face away and pretend that I'm not
But I'll be here 'cause you're all that I've got

I can't feel the way I did before
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored
Time won't heal this damage anymore
Don't turn your back on me
I won't be ignored


Limp Bizkit - Boiler (The best of them all)

Looks like I'm gonna do everything myself
Maybe I could use some help, but hell,
You want something done right, you gotta do it yourself
Maybe life is up and down but my life's been (what?)
Till now I crawled up your butt somehow and that's when things got turned around

I used to be alive
Now I feel pathetic and now I get it
What's done is done you just leave it alone and don't regret it
But sometimes, some things turn into dumb things
And that's when you put your foot down.

Why did I have to go and meet somebody like you? (like you)
Why did you have to go and hurt somebody like me? (like me)
How could you do somebody like that? (like that)
Hope you know that I'm never coming back (never coming back)

...

Depending on you is done, giving to you is done
No more eating, no sleeping, no living, it's all just more giving to you and I'm done
Depending on you is done, giving to you is done
No more eating, no sleeping, no living, it's all just more giving to you and I'm done
The hiding from you is done, the lying from you is done
No more eating, no more sleeping, no living, it's all just more giving to you and I'm done

...

Why did I have to meet somebody like you?
Why did you have to hurt somebody like me?
How could you do somebody like that?
I hope you know that I'm never coming back
Why? Why? Why?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home